Long before we had the luxury and abundance of skincare products, there was collagen. Today, you can find collagen in face masks, supplements, and even hair products. But collagen isn’t some modern-day discovery or a new trend. In fact, it’s been around for centuries and used all throughout the world for health purposes.
The Chinese discovered the benefits of collagen through bone broths and used it as an early form of medicine1 before discovering its skin-care remedies. Bone broth is a staple ingredient in many dishes all throughout Asia, so it’s no surprise that Asians have that youthful complexion well into adulthood.
If you’re not fully up to date with what collagen is yet, let me lay it out for you.
- Collagen is a protein that can be found in your muscles, bones, and connective tissues.
- It makes up one-third of the protein2 in our bodies.
- It promotes flexibility in our joints and encourages elasticity in our skin.
So if our bodies naturally produce collagen, why do we wrinkle and sag with age? Well, the production of collagen begins to decrease in the mid to late-twenties3, which is right around when we notice our first fine wrinkle and start hearing our knees pop. And thus enters collagen for skin as a key ingredient in modern skincare products, including our own.
Our team at Awakiin, couldn’t start a line of skincare products without incorporating a few staples that included a boost of collagen. And let me tell you, we are obsessed.
We use hydrolyzed collagen in our products which makes it easier for your skin to absorb its magical properties. Incorporating collagen into your skincare routine will benefit you by:
- Hydrating the skin to prevent new wrinkles from forming.
- Smoothing out current wrinkles so it's less noticeable.
- Rejuvenating dull skin for a more youthful look.
- Building your skin’s elasticity and protecting it from harsh conditions.
With all its benefits, you’re probably dying to get your hands on a collagen-based product, like our collagen cleansing foam. However, there are some things to consider when you start using collagen for skin.
- Skincare products with collagen can’t remove wrinkles or fine lines. Never believe a product that promises to erase wrinkles, it’s simply impossible and unethical to promote. Collagen absorbed into the skin boosts hydration in the skin to give you a smoother complexion. It’s possible to diminish the look of wrinkles, but it won’t erase them permanently. However, it is possible to prevent newer wrinkles from forming by keeping your skin hydrated and replenished with the use of collagen. If you don’t know where to start with collagen for skin, we recommend using our collagen masks 2-3 times a week as a starter.
- You won’t see results right away. Collagen is not a one-and-done type of skincare product. Reparations of the skin can occur as soon as you start using a collagen-based product, but you won’t be guaranteed to see visual results for several weeks. You might notice that your skin feels smoother and your skin depressions are not as deep, but that’s instantaneous with most moisturizing products and rejuvenation masks. Keep in mind, the reparations that you do see are not permanent. Even if your fine lines seem smoother, it does not mean they will stay smooth for long. As your body naturally loses collagen with age, so do the benefits from your collagen-based products.
Adding a collagen supplement is beneficial to both men and women of all ages. Whether you choose a dietary supplement or try out our collagen peeling gel, the results of collagen for skin will be the same. And we recommend you add collagen to your skincare routine sooner than later because skincare is all about prevention. So say goodbye to your future wrinkles, and let collagen do all the work for you.
- Collagen for skin
- Hydrolyzed collagen
- Best collagen